Beacon

SADBERGE HISTORY TRAIL

Point 4 – St Andrew's Church

Plaque

Introduction

St Andrew's Church follows on the trail from the Top Shop (now Top Cottage) on the other side of Darlington Road.  The church stands in the centre of the village on the top of the hill – an ancient site which has had previous churches from Norman times and, because of its position, Roman and probably Saxon settlements.  The current church was built in 1831.  Follow the trail through the Lych Gate, which is dated 1897.  In the early part of the twentieth century, allotments would have been on either side of you.  Follow the steep path round to the south side of the church and enter through the porch, which was dedicated on 13th December 1904 by the Bishop of Durham.

The current building was restored in 1890, and pitch pine benches and new oak stalls were placed in the chancel.

In 1868, Bulmer, the builder who was appointed to take down the former Norman church building, was instructed to make a path along the south east side of the churchyard to connect the vicarage and the vestry in 1868.  This path was re-discovered in 2012 when some church bank maintenance work was being carried out.  The first school in Sadberge – funded by the church – used to stand in the south east corner of the churchyard, adjoining Hampass (the grass area on the east side of the church wall).

St Andrew's Church community continues to provide Christian spiritual support and service.  It is regarded as an important part of our village life by the few (20-30) who attend regularly and many more who have personal memories of weddings, Christenings and funerals in the church.


Memories of St. Andrew's Church

[Still to be added.]


Go back to Point 3 – Top Cottage.       Go on to Point 5 – Hampass.

For further information, contact Millie Scaife (01325-332020)

You can use this link to go to the History Trail index page.